Study Law in USA – The United States is home to some of the most renowned law schools in the world offering a wide range of degrees in the legal profession, from diploma to PhD. Also, it is acclaimed as having some of the most erudite and outstanding law professors that cannot be found elsewhere. So, if you have been thinking of the best destination to go study for a law degree as an international student from Nigeria, then the USA offers you the choice to enrol in a law program in any of its prestigious universities. Find out all you need to know about studying law in the USA; everything from the advantages and benefits, cost of education, top universities to apply to; admission and visa requirements, scholarship options available, and so much more.
Overview of the Course
Law is one of the most prestigious courses in the university system today, and one most prized by students and parents alike. More so, if you have the opportunity of studying it in a prestigious destination such as Canada. Armed with a law degree, you stand the change of getting a better employment whether in the private or public sector, home and abroad. Not to mention, you could choose to set up your own private practice and start your own chamber. The benefits accruing to earning a law degree is limitless, as it affords you the opportunity to become a professional lawyer and solicitor.
Advantages and Benefits of Studying Law in the USA
Home to more than 5,000 universities and other higher institutions of learning, the USA is the world leader in education, and one of the areas of its core competence is in legal studies. Here are some of the benefits of studying law in USA:
- You get to attend some of the most highly ranked universities in the world. According to Time Educational Supplement World University ranking, eight law schools in the USA are ranked among the global twenty. These include such famous universities as Stanford and Harvard.
- With thousands of universities around the country, you have the option of choosing from some of the best universities in the world for your law education, ensuring the you get the best legal education possible;
- Studying in the USA offers you the potential to network with great minds from around the world; relationships which will come in handy when you finally settle to build your legal carrier after school.
- You will be exposed to a very challenging classroom environment which will greatly shape your thinking and help you stand out from other law grads from your home country. Professors in the USA use the Socratic method of teaching, which emphasizes students are asked to answer questions to case issues without having the luxury of preparing for it.
- Overseas living in the USA offers you a chance to reshape your perspective about the world. It also forms part of the learning experience and you get to learn about new cultures and norms.
Top Universities to Study Law in USA
Home to both Stanford and Harvard universities, the USA boats of thousands of some of the most prestigious universities in the world. Below are a list of the ten best universities to study law in USA:
- Yale University
- Stanford University
- Harvard University
- University Of Chicago
- Columbia University
- New York University
- University Of Pennsylvania
- University Of Michigan
- University Of California, Berkeley (UCB)
- University Of Cambridge
Admission requirements to study law in USA from Nigeria
Before applying to a law school in the university, you must completed a bachelor’s degree, as they usually do not admit fresh high school grads. The bachelor’s degree need not be related to law; could be in any field of study. Secondly, you must take the LSAT, which is an official exam that tests your critical and analytical capabilities, which is a major requirement in the law field. Then, you can decide on two or three law school and begin the admission process.
Fee and Cost of Studying Law in USA
Fees at the top law universities in the USA are around $43,000 a year, although it is far lesser at less prestigious private law universities within the country. According to the American Bar Association, average law school fess in private law universities are around $34,000 per year while it costs around $16,000 in public universities. So, it would be advisable if you contact the university you wish to apply to and find how much they charge as regards fees.
USA Student Visa Requirements from Nigerians
You will need an F-1 Visa to study in the USA as a Nigerian student. Below are the list of requirements to submit alongside the visa application forms:
- International Passport
- Passport-size photographs
- Receipt of $160 visa fee payment
- Approved Form 1-20 from the university in the USA where you got the admission from
- Letter of acceptance
- Evidence of strong financial, social and family ties back in your home country that would compel you to go back after your studies.
- Receipts of fees payments
- Any relevance correspondence with the university
- Financial documents showing funds sufficiency and ability to take care of yourself while in the country
- Academic records.
Scholarships Available To Study Law in USA from Nigeria
Universities in the USA offer a wide variety of scholarship options for international students who wish to study with them. You will find adequate information about this on their websites.
Duration of Study
It takes between 3-4 years to finish an undergraduate law program in USA.