Study Engineering in Japan – Are you interested in studying Engineering in Japan? Do you fancy bagging a foreign engineering degree in any Japanese university? Japan presents a wonderful opportunity for you to study abroad and earn a globally recognized engineering degree.
With its universally renowned universities and research centers, coupled with its hi-tech society that values and appreciates technological advancements, you’ll be in the best place to earn a degree in engineering.
If you are interested in a Japanese engineering degree, this is an opportunity for you to explore your options. In this article, I am going to give you a breakdown of the requirements, costs involved, and general information you’ll need to make an informed decision about studying engineering in japan.
Advantages and benefits of studying Engineering in Japan
Sushi, karaoke and bullet trains may be some of the biggest Japanese exports that come to mind when this small but technologically advanced country is noted for, but japan also has some of the best universities in the world where you can study to earn a globally recognized degree.
With its strong technology and its leading economy, japan is a land that attracts foreign students to its universities because of its progressive educational system. Below are some of the reasons why you should consider applying to study for an engineering degree in japan:
- By choosing to study in japan, you will become part of a global educational system that offer world class education that is second to none elsewhere.
- You’ll feel welcome in a society that is hospital and values forging friendship and mutual understanding.
- A Japanese engineering degree makes you become a hot cake in the global job market, since their universities and research centers are globally ranked as topnotch
- Studying in japan affords you the opportunity to work and learn, enabling you save money for important things.
- Compared to universities in the US and the UK, tuition fees are way cheaper and affordable in Japanese universities.
- You get to immerse yourself in the Japanese culture and soak in their way of life. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity to experience in the rich Japanese culture.
- Japan is considered one of the safest countries in the world. You will feel safe and secure throughout your stay in this idyllic country
Language of delivery
While most universities offer classes in Japanese, there are a number of universities which have a significant international student population and thus offer select courses, including engineering, in English. But you need to learn basic and conversational Japanese in order to be able to interact freely with the local Japanese citizens.
Top Universities to Study Engineering in Japan
There are a number of universities that offer English language engineering courses, of which you can apply to as a foreign student. Below are a list of them:
- University of Tokyo
- Sophia university
- Hokkaido university
- Nagoya university
Engineering in Japan Admission requirements for Nigerian Students
To gain admission into any Japanese university to study engineering, you must have finished the mandatory upper secondary school and obtained the senior secondary certificate with credit grades in the science-related subjects. Also, most universities in japan offer a one year preparatory course before you are given admission.
Japan Student visa requirements for Nigerian Students
For international students who wish to study engineering in Japan, a student visa is required to gain entry into the country. Once you have been sent your acceptance letter by the Japanese university you applied for studies, you can then proceed to process your student visa at the local embassy in your home country with the following documents:
- Student application form
- 8 identical passport photographs
- Copy of your international passport
- Academic documents
- Proof of financial viability
- Certificate of eligibility
- Letter of acceptance
- Criminal record
Fees and Cost of Studying Engineering in Japan
Compared to the US and the UK, it’s comparably cheaper in terms of tuition fees to study in japan. It all depends on the type of university you choose to study in japan. On the whole, private universities cost far higher than their public government-owned counterparts. On the average, tuition fees vary from school to school, but it’s around 3,400 pounds per year for undergraduate courses, plus an additional 1750 pounds for admission fees.
Scholarships for Engineering in Japan
Most universities in japan offer scholarships to international and foreign students who study in their campuses. For a list of the scholarship options, do well to check with the school you applied to for guidance and eligibility.
Duration of study
To study for a degree in engineering in japan, you have to put in 4-5 years of study.