Study dentistry in USA – The United States presents a veritable opportunity for Nigerian students who wish to study dentistry abroad. The country’s universities and medical sciences institutions are well equipped with some of the best tutors and instructors who are renowned in offering world-class lectures (both in theory and practical) on a diverse range of dental disciplines for international students.
Thus, if you are wondering where you can study and a good degree in dentistry abroad that will be internationally accepted, the USA is the place to be. Find out in this article the different sub-disciplines of dentistry that you can choose to major in, the cost involved, duration of study, universities to choose from, admission criteria, student visa requirements, and much more.
Overview of the course
Dentistry is a branch of medical study that deals exclusively with the study, diagnosis, prevention, and treatment of diseases, disorders, and conditions of the oral cavity. Dentists treat problems with patients’ teeth, gums and mouths. They also specialize in oral surgery and oral disease, doing cosmetic work, improving the appearance of patients’ smiles and much more. Becoming a dentist involves a lot of training and dental workers have some of the highest rates of job satisfaction of any profession, and dentistry can be rewarding financially.
Like doctors, dentists’ services are always in demand and with increasing numbers of people wanting cosmetic dentistry, there are plenty of jobs in the sector.
There are at least branches pf dentistry that students can choose to major in after their basic dental education and they are as follows:
- Dental Public Health
- Oral and Maxillofacial Pathology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Radiology
- Oral and Maxillofacial Surgery
- Orthodontics and Dentofacial Orthopedics
- Pediatric Dentistry
Advantages and Benefits of studying Dentistry in the USA
With more than 5,000 universities and other institutions offer degrees in a wide range of disciplines, the United States is the home of international education. Find out some of the best reasons why you should earn a dental degree from some of the leading universities in the USA:
- You get to acquire a dental degree that is internationally recognized
- You get a global education that helps in giving you a different perspective in your career
- There are a wide and diverse body of branches of dentistry in American universities (that you can choose to major in after your basic dental education.
- Opportunity to work at least 20 hours a week while studying
- Study in some of the best universities in the world
- Enjoy the coveted us student lifestyle
- Get a chance to improve your English studying a native English-speaking nation
- Meet international students from all around the world and make new friends that could last a lifetime
- Acquire an international experience that will ultimately boost your cv
- Travel and gain a wider perspective about the world that will add value to your dental education
Language of delivery
The good thing about studying for a dental degree in the USA is that you get to study in English, since the USA is an English-speaking nation
Top universities for Dentistry in USA
Below are the top ten universities in the USA where you can study dentistry:
- New York University
- The University Of North Carolina, Chapel Hill
- The University Of Washington
- The University Of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
- University Of Pennsylvania
- University Of California, San Francisco
- University Of Minnesota
- Boston University
- The University Of Southern California
- Columbia University
- The University Of Florida
- Tufts University
Cost of study
Costs of tuition vary, depending on the institution involved, and whether it’s a public or private institution. At the University of Washington, for example, the room and board costs for all the four years of dental school is $65,688 while personal expenses can amount to $10,570 for all the four years. Transportation costs reach $6,048 for all the four years of study, while living expenses for one’s entire time in dental school can reach $82,306.
To study computer science in the USA, you must have the following qualifications:
- For a first degree in dentistry: A secondary school certificate (WAEC or NECO/GCE or their international equivalent) with a high score in the science subjects (biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics) with English as a prerequisite;
- For master’s degree in a branch of dentistry: A bachelor’s degree in dentistry is required, plus a written CV, statement of purpose.
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 500 or IELTS 5)
Student visa process
To study in the USA, you will need an FI student visa to enable you travel to the country and reside as a student. To apply for the American student visa, you need visit nearest American embassy in your home country with the following documents:
- Letter of acceptance from a recognized university in the USA
- Passport photographs
- Filled out DS-160 application form
- Interview appointment letter (original and copy)
- Form I-20 sent by the college
- SEVIS ($200)
- Visa application fee receipt (US$160)
- Proof of accommodation in the USA
- Clean police report
- International passport (with at least six months validity period)
- Proof of tuition fee payment (either a bank draft or evidence of scholarship)
- Bank statement of at least three months financial assets to pay for the first year of your study
- Educational credentials and transcripts
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL, GMAT, IELTS etc.)
Dentistry Scholarships in USA
Many dental schools in the USA offer scholarships to deserving international students, but it is usually based on merit. However, some institutions offer scholarship opportunities to students with extreme financial needs. You will need to visit the individual universities via their websites to get further information on criteria for application.
Duration of study for Dentistry
A dental bachelor’s degree in the USA takes between 4-5 years of study to finish. For a Master’s program, it takes around 2 years while a PhD program takes around 3 years or more.