Study dentistry in UK – The UK is home to some of the best universities in Europe. Comprised of four semi-autonomous entities — Scotland, wales, Northern Ireland and England – is it the home of the English language.
With the united kingdom being a world power, it follows that it possesses the resources to ensure its higher institutions are ranked in terms of high quality and resourcefulness.
This explains why most international students, especially among the commonwealth nations such as Nigeria, have found it attractive over the years to apply to study in UK universities.
They cover all courses you can possibly think of, including dentistry, and the facilities are topnotch, ensuring you get the best of education. Find out in this article what steps to take to apply for a slot to study for a degree in any of the highly reputed universities scattered all across the UK
Advantages and benefits of studying dentistry in the UK
- British education is revered and their degrees universally accepted
- You get to learn the English language from native speakers
- Scholarships and student grants are widely available to international students
- Opportunity to network with students from all across the world and build lifelong connections
- Global employment opportunities at your fingertips
- You can work at least 20 hours a week while studying
- Top range facilities in its universities
- High quality of the degree you earn, which is accepted worldwide
- Excellent facilities that ensures you get the best of education
Language of delivery
The UK is the home of the English language, meaning you are guaranteed of studying in universities where the medium of instruction is Standard British English.
Top universities to study Dentistry in UK
In the whole of Europe as well as the world the UK has some of the best universities. They are consistently ranked globally as meeting the highest of standards. Find out ten of the top universities in the UK where you can study dentistry:
- University of Dundee.
- University of Aberdeen.
- Plymouth University.
- King’s College London.
- Queen’s University Belfast.
- University of Central Lancashire
- University of Liverpool
- University of Glasgow
- Newcastle University
- Cardiff University
Cost of studying Dentistry in the UK and scholarships available
Tuition fees are largely dependent on the university involved. While UK and EU students pay a negligible amount in fees, non-EU international students pay higher. For instance, the University of Dundee charges £31,300 for Level 1, then £43,000 per year for each of the remaining four years. £19,500 for the Pre-Dental year. At the postgraduate level, tuition fees are around £12,400 for each year of study.
You can apply for scholarships to help offset some of the cost of education while in the UK. There are a number of options to apply to and they are listed below:
- Commonwealth Scholarship Fellowship Plan
- Royal Society Grants
- Tullow Scholarships
- Chevening Scholarships
Dentistry Admission process
For Nigerian students who wish to study dentistry in the UK, here is the general admission requirements:
- For a first degree in dentistry: A good secondary school certificate (WAEC or NECO/GCE or their international equivalent) with a high score in the science subjects (biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics) with English as a necessity ;
- For master’s degree in any branch of dentistry: A bachelor’s degree in dentistry is required, plus a written CV, statement of purpose and letter of good conduct from a former teacher.
- For those who wish to study in English, a Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 500 or IELTS 5) is required.
- Be prepared as most British universities will insist you take an entrance test to determine your eligibility for admission into their institution to study dentistry.
UK Student visa process and Requirments for Nigerian Students
As an international student who is not from a country within the EU, you will need a Tier 4 student visa to study in the UK. It is advisable you apply early, as it usually takes anywhere from 2-15 days for your visa to be processed. You can apply for the visa online where you fill out the form in English, pay the visa application fee online and also book for an appointment. Once you have secured the appointment, you can now head to the nearest UK high commission in your home country with the following documents:
- Current passport (valid for the next six months and blank pages on each side of the visa)
- Two Passport photographs
- Proof or parental consent
- Proof of accommodation in the UK
- Proof of sufficient funds to support yourself while in the UK for studies
- Tuberculosis test result if you are from a country where a test is needed
- Health insurance (at least up to €30,000)
- Proof of your relationship with your parents
- Proof of admission in a recognized university in the UK (letter of acceptance
- Proof of tuition fee payment (or evidence of scholarship)
- For masters students: academic transcripts, undergraduate degree results, statement of purpose, a short cv, and a letter of recommendation from a referee
- Visa application fee ($471)
Duration of study
A bachelor degree in dentistry in the UK takes 4 years of study to finish. For a Master’s programs, it usually takes around 2 years while a PhD programs takes around 3 years or more.