Study Dentistry in England – You only need to experience an English education to feel its impact on your overall career. From boosting your CV and making you stand out wherever you go, to helping you gain valuable insight and experience in studying in one of the most attractive countries in the world. England provides the best study abroad opportunity for international students. Find out in this article how you can apply to study for a degree in dentistry from a university in England.
Advantages and benefits of studying dentistry in England
There are so many awesome reasons why international students choose to study in England, and some of the reasons are listed below:
- High standard of education
- Internationally accepted degree
- Opportunity to learn English in a native environment.
- A multicultural society with an education that is open to all
- High quality postgraduate courses to choose from
- Undergraduate programmes in English universities are usually shorter, meaning reduced overall tuition rates.
- It’s possible to work while also learning
Language of delivery
English is the language of instruction, considering England is the home of the English language. This means that even while studying for your dentistry degree, you can still learn the English language from the native speakers.
Top Universities to Study Dentistry in England
There are some outstanding universities in England that international students can apply to for a dentistry degree. Below is a list of them:
- Oxford university
- Cambridge university
- University of Manchester
- University of Birmingham
- University of Bristol
- Newcastle University
- University of Leeds
- Queen Mary University of London
Fees / Cost of studying Dentistry in England
Tuition fees are a bit expensive in England. This is due in part to the fact that an English education is a coveted endeavor, and England is a first world country. On average, tuition fees are around £22,200 (~US$31,380) per year, with studying in London the most expensive. For postgraduate programmes, fees are around £12,000 (US$16,940) to £27,200 (US$38,400) per year.
Admission process for Nigerian Students
As a Nigerian students wishing to study dentistry in England you must have the following academic qualifications:
- For a first degree in dentistry: A secondary school certificate (WAEC or NECO/GCE or their international equivalent) with a credit grade in the science subjects (biology, chemistry, physics, mathematics) is accepted;
- For master’s degree in a branch of dentistry: A bachelor’s degree in dentistry is required, plus a written CV, statement of purpose and letter of good conduct from a previous teacher.
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 500 or IELTS 5) is needed.
- Most English universities would also mandate you take a written entrance test to determine your eligibility for admission into their institution to study.
England Student visa process for Nigerian Students
To study in the England, you will need to obtain a Tier 4 student visa. To apply for a student visa, you have to visit the local UK embassy in your home country with the following documents:
- International passport (with at least three months validity period)
- Letter of acceptance from a recognized university in England
- Two Passport photographs
- Health insurance
- Health surcharge (£150 per year)
- Biometrics (pictures an fingerprints) may be needed for Nigerian students
- Clean police report
- Birth certificate
- Proof of tuition fee payment (either a bank draft or evidence of scholarship will suffice)
- Proof of financial sufficiency to support your stay while in England (£1,265 for each month of your studies and up to a maximum of nine months)
- Completed application form
- Visa application fee receipt (If you are applying from outside the UK, the cost is £322. If you are already in the UK and are applying from here, you can apply by post for £439 or in person for £839)
- Proof of accommodation in England
- Educational credentials and transcripts
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL, GMAT, IELTS etc.)
Scholarships to Study Dentistry in England
English universities and the government offers scholarships to international students who wish to study in the country. These scholarships are mainly for international students from developing countries such as Nigeria. They include the following;
- Chevening Scholarships (Government-funded UK scholarships open to outstanding students)
- Commonwealth scholarship and fellowship
More English scholarships are available for international students at the postgraduate level, and less for undergraduate students.
Duration of study
A bachelor degree in dentistry in England usually takes 4-5 years of study to finish. For a Master’s programme, it takes around 2 years while a PhD programme takes around 3 years.