Study computer science in UAE – The United Arab Emirates may be known to much of the world as an oil-rich country, but in recent years, it has made significant progress to channel much of the wealth it has derived from its oil revenue into creating a knowledge-based society, with a lot of investment in its higher education.
Currently, universities in the kingdom offer degrees both at the undergraduate, masters and PhD levels, with the government making an investment in the country’s computer science and IT research a priority. Universities are now research centers where developments in robotics, informatics, artificial intelligence, programming, networking and other branches of computer science putting the UAE on the map on study abroad destination. If you are thinking of where to apply for a degree in computer science, then a place in one of the UAE’s prestigious universities will ensure you are well prepare for a career as a computer scientist.
Advantages and Benefits of studying Computer Science in the UAE
- A rich Arabian culture waiting to be explored
- More than 1,000 international students now study in the country
- Master’s degree in a diverse sub-discipline of computer science for you to choose from
- Computer science and IT education has been made a priority by the government
- Being a tourist country, there are lots places for a quick vacation in the country
- English is the language of instruction in universities in the UAE
- Both full and part time studies are offered
- Degrees that are globally accepted
Language of instruction
English is the predominant languages of instruction in universities in the UAE
Top universities for Computer Science in UAE
There are 116 universities in the country, with 3 being public institutions and about thirty being satellite campuses of universities in the west, notably from the US and UK, with most of them located in Abu Dhabi and Dubai. Find a list of the top ten universities in the UAE to study computer science:
- United Arab Emirates University
- American University of Sharjah
- Khalifa University
- American University in Dubai (AUD)
- University of Sharjah
Cost of tuition for Computer Science in UAE
Tuition fees can be very costly in universities in the UAE, and are usually set by individual universities. Tuition fees can go as high as $8,000-$10,000 for undergraduate degrees in computer science while masters can go for as much as between US$13,070 to a hefty US$32,670 per academic year.
To study in a university in the UAE, you will need to fulfil the following general admission requirements:
- For a diploma or degree in computer science: A secondary school (high school) certificate (WAEC or NECO/GCE or their international equivalents) with a high score level in the relevant science subjects is needed;
- For master’s degree in computer science: A bachelor’s degree in related field, plus CV and statement of purpose.
- Data page of your international passports
- Passports photographs
- Proof of English language proficiency, either a TOEFL or IELTS certification (for those who wish to study in English)
- Be ready for an entrance examination as most universities will conduct that.
Admission Requirements for Computer Science in UAE
You will need a student visa to study in the UAE as an international student, which you can apply for after securing the admission. File for your student visa at the nearest UAE embassy in your home country with the following documents:
- A completed visa application form
- Original passport (valid for at least six months) along with a photocopy
- 12 passport photographs
- Original degrees and transcripts along with photocopies
- Proof of residence in the UAE
- Postgraduate students will need proof of a recognized degree
- Copy of school fee receipt (or evidence of a scholarship)
- On arrival, you will undergo mandatory medical examination to ensure you are not carrying a communicable disease
- Health insurance
- Bank statement of the last three months
- Two recent passport-sized photographs (with white background)
- A letter of acceptance in a university in the UAE
- Visa application fee (US$150)
Computer Science Scholarships in UAE
It could be hard to access scholarship in universities in the UAE. Rather, it is advisable you seek for scholarship from your government or other private organizations in your home country.
Duration of study
A degree program in computer science typically takes four years to finish at a university in the UAE. For the masters, it’s usually between 1-2 years of study while a PhD is around 3 or more years of study.