Study computer science in Japan – Japan rose up from the ashes of the Second World War to become a global leader in technology, with one of the core areas it has excelled being in automobile and computer technology.
It’s now the market leader in robotics, artificial intelligence, computer programming, coding, and other computer science-related fields.
If you are planning to study for computer science at a reputable university where you will get the best education there is, then japan is the place to go.
Find out in this article all you need to know about studying computer science in japan: the institutions, costs, admission requirements, and other general conditions to studying computer science in japan.
Overview of the course
Computer science is the study of computers and their uses, and the field comprises a variety of subjects and sub-disciplines, including software engineering and design, artificial intelligence theory, programming languages, information systems and information technology. A degree in computer science places you in a firm position to be ready for this emerging hot sector of the labor market in the future.
Advantages and benefits of studying computer science in Japan
Japan is a technological hub, with everything from robotics, telecommunication to AI powered by computer science technology. Find out other reasons why you should study computer science in a Japanese university:
- You get to acquire a degree that is internationally recognized
- You get to live in a homogenous culture where you have to learn a new language in order to assimilate
- Japan is a highly technological country with a highly developed economy, with computer technology at the core of its development
- There are over 700 universities and other specialist research institutes to choose from
- Japanese culture is rich and in-depth, ensuring you are fully immersed in this oriental society
- A beautiful country with a very high standard of living
- Opportunity to expand your horizon and increase your job opportunities after your education.
Language of delivery
You will have to enroll in a Japanese language school in your first year in order to learn the Japanese language before starting your computer science degree program. This will help you interact with the people and make your study experience worthwhile. Most courses In Japanese universities are offered in Japanese, and only few in English. If you wish to study in English, you have to show proof of English proficiency through a certified test (TOEFL or IELTS)
Top universities for Computer Science in Japan
Below are the top ten universities in japan where you can study computer science:
- University of Tokyo
- Tohoku University
- Kyoto University
- Tokyo Institute Of Technology
- Chiba University
- Waseda University
- Nagoya University
- Keio University
- University Of Tsukuba
- Temple University (Japan Campus)
Cost of studying Computer Science in Japan
Compared to universities in the US and the UK, tuition fees re generally cheaper in Japanese universities, with average tuition in the range of $6,500 per academic year. However, cost of living in japan can be rather expensive and you need to be prepared for that. Accommodation, for example, ranges from ¥35,000 to ¥60,000 ($314-$ 538 ) for a shared single room in Tokyo.
Computer Science in Japan Admission Requirments for Nigerian Students
To study computer science in japan, you need to have the following qualifications:
- For a diploma or degree in computer science: A secondary school certificate (WAEC or NECO/GCE or their equivalent) with a high score level in the science subjects;
- For master’s degree in computer science: A bachelor’s degree in related field, CV, statement of purpose.
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 500 or IELTS 5) for English-based classes.
Japan Student visa requirements and process
As an international student, you will need a visa to study in Japan. Apply for your student visa at the local Canadian embassy in your home country with the following documents:
- International passport (with at least six months validity period)
- Letter of acceptance from a recognized university in Japan
- Passport photographs
- Proof of tuition fee payment (either a bank draft or evidence of scholarship)
- Filled out student visa application form
- Visa application fee of 6000 yen (US$89)
- Proof of accommodation in Japan
- Clean police report
- Evidence of financial sufficiency to cover your stay in the country
However, it is advisable you consult the Japanese immigration office (or their website) in order to get a more up-to-date list of requirements and conditions for the issuance of a student visa.
Scholarships available for the course
Most Japanese universities offer scholarships for international students. You will have to visit their websites to get additional information on how to apply as an international student
Duration of study
A Bachelor’s degree in computer science in japan usually takes 4 years to finish. For master’s, it’s an 18-24 months program, while a PhD is around three years of intense studies.