Study Computer Science in Canada – In last year’s Times Higher Education (THE) World University Rankings, computer science-was rated one of the most sought after courses, and Canada was one of the hot destinations where international students are increasingly choosing to study for the hot course.
If you are thinking of an international destination where you can earn a computer science degree, and be fully qualified as a computer scientist, then you should consider applying to study in some of the numerous reputable universities in Canada.
This article is dedicated to bringing you all the bits of information about how you can secure an admission to study for a computer science degree in Canada.
Here, you will find information on costs, admission requirements, student visa procedures, universities that offer the course and much more.
Overview of the course
Computer science is a career path that has witnessed phenomenal growth in recent years, especially with the dawn of the information and communication technology age. A degree in computer science duly positions you to explore this new and exciting frontier, equipping you with the latest knowledge to tackle some of the most persistent issues in computer technology.
Advantages and benefits of studying Computer Science in Canada
Canada is renowned for a seamless and topnotch education, and pursuing a computer science degree in this highly technologically developed country in North America affords you the following advantages:
- You get to acquire a degree that is internationally recognized
- Admission ad student visa are relatively easy to acquire in Canada
- There are a wide and diverse body of related disciplines that are offered in Canadian universities (network administration, telecommunication, Internet, computer engineering, e-commerce, information systems, robotics, and general technology programs)
- Tutors pay closer attention to the latest uses and deployment of computer-related technologies in order to keep up with the trend while teaching
- Since it has practical applications in real world, computer science is combined with a whole lot of related fields such as mathematics, statistics, business, engineering, health sciences to ensure students get a all-round education
Language of delivery
Depending on which part of Canada the university you applied for is situated, classes could be offered either in English or French. If you wish to study in English, you have to show proof of English proficiency through a certified test (TOEFL or IELTS)
Top Universities to Study Computer Science in Canada from Nigeria
Below are the top ten universities in Canada where you can study computer science:
- University of Ottawa
- University of Calgary
- Simon Fraser University
- McMaster University
- University of Alberta
- McGill University
- Université de Montréal
- University of Waterloo
- University of British Columbia
- University of Toronto
Cost of studying Computer Science in Canada
Cost vary from university to university, with average tuition in the range of US$20,540 per year for international students.
Computer Science in Canada Admission Requirements for Nigerian Students
To study computer science in Canada, you must have the following qualifications:
- For a diploma or degree in computer science: A secondary school certificate (WAEC or NECO/GCE or their equivalent) with a high score in the science subjects;
- For master’s degree in computer science: A bachelor’s degree in related field, CV, statement of purpose.
- Proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL 500 or IELTS 5) for English-based classes.
Canadian Student Visa Requirements and Application process
You will need a visa to study in Canada as an international student. Apply for your student visa at the local Canadian embassy in your home country with the following documents:
- Letter of acceptance from a recognized university in Canada
- Passport photographs
- Filled out student visa application form
- Visa application fee of $150 Canadian dollars (US$78)
- Proof of accommodation in Canada
- Clean police report
- International passport (with at least six months validity period)
- Proof of tuition fee payment (either a bank draft or evidence of scholarship)
- Evidence of financial sufficiency to cover your stay in the country (US$7,650 yearly)
However, it is advisable you consult the Canadian immigration office (or their website) in order to get a more up-to-date list of requirements and conditions for the issuance of a student visa.
Scholarships for Computer Science in Canada
International students can sample a number of scholarship options open to them to enable them study with ease in Canada. A list of the available scholarship options are as follows:
- Lester B. Pearson International Scholarship Program at University of Toronto
- Humber International Entrance Scholarships
- Donald A. Wehrung International Student Award
- Vanier Canada Graduate Scholarships (Vanier CGS)
- Pierre Elliott Trudeau Foundation Doctoral Scholarships
- York University International Student Scholarships
Duration of study
Bachelor’s degree in computer science in Germany usually takes 4 years to finish. For master’s, it’s an 18-24 months program, while a PhD is around three years of intense studies.