Study nursing in New Zealand – If you have decided to study for your nursing degree in New Zealand, then you have made a smart move! International students have now come to the realization that New Zealand offers anew vista in their higher education dreams, with the opportunity of being educated in one of the most interesting and highly developed countries in the world at a fraction of the cost it would take in Europe and America.
New Zealand offers nursing programs with precise detail and attention that allows students to get a hands-on education that offers them quality and affordable education. Find out all the information you need about studying nursing in this beautiful country located in the Oceania region of the world.
Advantages and Benefits of studying Nursing in New Zealand
Find out all the exciting reasons why international students choose to study nursing in New Zealand:
- Low cost of tuition
- High standard of living
- Thousands of international enroll yearly
- English used as language of delivery
- globally recognized university degrees
- Rich cultural and historical heritage waiting to be explore
- Secure and safe
- A diverse cultural environment to explore
- There are many opportunities to get scholarships and grants to aid your study effort
- You have the advantage of global employment prospects after your education
Language of delivery
New Zealand is an English-speaking nation, hence the language of instruction in schools is English, making it a very attractive option for international students.
Top Universities to study Nursing in New Zealand
- University of Auckland
- Eastern Institute of Technology
- Wellington Institute of Technology
- Victoria University of Wellington
- University of Otago
- University of Canterbury
- Otago Polytechnic
- Manukau Institute of Technology
- University of Waikato
- AUT University
Cost of studying to Nursing in New Zealand
While the government has signaled its intent to abolish tuition fees, for now it is one if the downsides to studying in the country, as tuition rates go as high as £12,000) per year. However, if you have a scholarship in place, it helps to offset the cost of education in the long run.
Admission process for Nursing in New Zealand for Nigerian Students
To study nursing in New Zealand, you need, all you need is a secondary school certificate (WAEC or NECO or its equivalent) with a high score, a bachelor’s degree (for a master in the nursing program), and proof of English language proficiency (TOEFL or IELTS certification). You must also be willing to take an entrance exam, as most universities will require it.
New Zealand Student visa requirements for Nigerians
To study nursing in New Zealand, you will need a visa. You should apply for your student visa at the local New Zealand embassy in your home country after you have secured your letter of admission with the following documents:
- Valid international passport (with validity period of up to six months)
- A cash deposit to cover the cost of a return ticket
- Financial sufficiency to support yourself while in New Zealand ($10,065 a year)
- proof that you have been given admission and accommodation in New Zealand Visa Application fee ($250)
- Health insurance
- Clean police report
- For minors: parents’ authorization
- Passport photos
- For master’s program: CV and statement of purpose
Nursing in New Zealand Scholarships
Many universities in New Zealand offer scholarships, and you will find details of it in their respective websites. You can also explore private organizations and charities for scholarship opportunities
Duration of study
A first degree in nursing in New Zealand is a 4 year program. If you already have an associate degree in nursing, it is a 2 year program. For master’s, it’s a 2 year program (full time). For a PhD, it’s around three years of intense studies.